Friday, January 23, 2009

BREAKING: Jeremy Wood Back In

Jeremy Wood has decided to withdraw his withdrawal from the VP Academic race, and is now once again running for office. Here is the statement he released to member of his election facebook group:

"Hey everyone. As many of you have probably heard by now I today announced my withdrawal from the VP Academic race. I realize now what it was was that I felt I'd lost sight of the issues and was too focused on the race. I've reassessed my priorities and at the end of the day its you and your interests that matter, not just winning an election. I don't want to let you down and I won't. In the wake of my withdrawal I've seen an outpouring of support I had no idea about and it has genuinely moved me. Maybe my change of heart today will affect the results of this election. I hope they will not. But I will be there to see what happens. And I hope you will be there with me. Let everyone know. Were here to stay."

I find this quite interesting- I'm not quite sure yet how I feel about a candidate who feels like he lost sight of the issues, only to regain focus when others supported him. It is admirable, however, that he's more interested in protecting students' interests rather than winning the race. There are lots of ways to make a difference and stand up for students' interests without holding the position of VP Academic. Personally, I'd also be interested in what Sonia has to say.